Friday, January 14, 2011

Back to the Studio.


After most plein air adventures, I am usually pretty remiss about returning to the studio. This time, however, the comforts of my warm and cozy studio are just fine with me. I just love the difference between the two. Working with a finish line in mind in the outdoors as opposed to toiling away endlessly in the studio on a piece that may or may not ever be completed.

Working in plein air has made me much more efficient in the studio, and has taught me how to see nature and life. Eugene Boudin, Monet's mentor, reinforced the importance of plein air to him time again, and I am beginning to understand why.

My palette is the same indoors and out, and from left to right my current selection is this: phthalo green, veridian green, phthalo blue, ultramarine blue, quinacridone red, orange (mixed myself with cadmium red and cadmium yellow), yellow ochre, cad yellow, titanium white. I also keep a bit of ivory black for quick darkening, but prefer to use my mud for grays (bottom left). I've been using straight linseed oil as my medium lately, but sometimes I will add Gamblim Galkyd Lite if I want a really thin mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment