Wednesday, March 2, 2011

On the Menu Today: Introspection


Doing graphic art professionally and having just returned from a week long business trip, I'm reflecting today on the difference between the two types of art I create. The names alone would give great differentiation between fine and graphic art, but even beyond that there is the distinction between creating art for one's own needs and for someone or something else's bottom line. I must admit that I enjoy both, but still find the fine art side much more intimidating. Maybe I can attribute that to the fact that when I paint it's coming from a place that's real inside of me, a place of vulnerability. Graphic art, although still created by me, more often than not is stripped away of the vulnerability as a result of it's very nature. I am not creating it for me, my own worst critic.

Today's painting is "Peninsula Park", watercolor on paper.

1 comment:

  1. That is very true-creating from ones own self is displaying ones own spirit for others to see.

    ReplyDelete